Sometimes you can look at a driveway and it is obvious where the basketball goal should go. Other times there are multiple options or you have to make trade-offs due to constraints like utility lines, trees, windows and neighbors.
In this post I’ll attempt to cover the best method for determining your driveway basketball court layout and common pitfalls to look out for when choosing a location for your new outdoor basketball goal.
Laying out your driveway basketball court
- Print out court dimensions (These are high school court dimensions, the most popular)
- Create a diagram of your playing area to scale with the court dimension diagram. Add three things to it…
- Playing area dimensions
- Utilities – Call 811 to have them marked if you do not know where they are
- Easement and property lines
- Cut out the void spots in the court dimension diagram so you can overlay it on top of the playing area diagram you made. Move it around until you find the position that’s best for your area.
Choosing the right basketball goal