Introduction: This is the second in a series of posts where we highlight the unique features that enable our basketball goals to outperform alternatives. View the first post in this series which covered the Lift-Assist Mechanism and adjustable basketball goals.
To ensure you’re getting a high-quality basketball system that will last years and perform great, make sure the backboard has the following features.
- Made of Tempered Glass – All premium hoops are available with a tempered glass backboard. This is the same material used in competitive gyms and stadiums around the world. The material is renown for its solid rebounding characteristics and good looks.
- 1/2 Inch Thickness – This is the same thickness used at competitive levels and is proven to give the best rebound response.
- Mechanically Locking 1/4″ Thick Solid Aluminum Frame – You might not find these items on the specification sheet but they are as important as anything else. The framing around the backboard adds rigidity to the system and makes it look professional. Look out for the following
- Aluminum trim which covers a steel frame
- Weak bent rounded corners
- Frames thinner than 1/4″
- Glued-on backboards
- Rear, Baked-On Markings – Lower quality systems will paint the shooter’s square and perimeter markings on the front. After a short period of time, the ball and the elements will wear the markings off leaving no point of reference for bank shots.
- Bolt-Through Rim Mounting – This is extremely important if you plan on dunking on your basketball system. All high-quality basketball goals use spacers that enable the rim to be bolted directly to the support structure instead of the glass. Without this feature, the likelihood of shattering the backboard is much higher.
- Supportive Extension Arm Mounting – Almost all made bank-shots hit the backboard in or around the shooter’s square. Look for a mounting system that supports this area well.
Congratulation! By equipping yourself with knowledge of these backboard features, you’ll know what to look out for when you buy your new basketball system. You will be well informed and able to make an educated buying decision with little risk of buyers remorse. We hope these tips have been helpful. Look for the third part of the Pro Dunk Hoops Feature Highlight series soon.